FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Impressions of New DFW International Terminal D
Old Jun 25, 2005, 2:01 pm
dayone
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Impressions of New DFW International Terminal D

I took a busman's holiday and ventured to the Open House for DFW Terminal D. Some random, unscientific observations:

1. Only the AA "half" (Gates 23-40) of the terminal was open for strolling.
2. Not ready for prime time. Still lots of work to be done. The gates are close to ready but no concessions are finished.
3. The terminal itself seems well designed...very spacious and airy. Lots of windows and views are quite stunning. Lots of plasma monitors and Samsung-signed TVs.
4. The much-touted art really blends in. I had to look for it.
5. The Admirals Club is on the mezzanine with elevator access. It was not open but there were drawings to show what it will look like. Very nice.
6. There will not be a Flagship Lounge but there is something called a "VIP Waiting Area" in the Club.
7. There is another elevator entrance a little ways down from the AC for "Airline Clubs." No mention or signage indicating what clubs might be present.
8. The new Grand Hyatt (distinct from the existing Hyatt Regency) was not open. I'm supposed to attend its open house next week so I suspect it is closer to being finished.
9. The parking garage is going to take some practice to master. The computer guidance was operational but two sections that were indicated full had many open spaces.
10. The garage has "corners" rather than curves so the flow doesn't (yet) seem as smooth as the existing garages.
11. The upper levels of the garage feed down thru a common ramp to Level 3 for exit. Turning onto the ramp requires a full stop and then a 90-degree turn. Once down to Level 3, you still have to drive the length of the garage to exit. Today, there were backups on both the ramp and on Level 3 to exit. If someone is "stopped" for any reason (waiting, clueless, etc.) on Level 3, it could back up all the way up the ramp. Doesn't bode well for Friday afternoons.
12. I was amazed by the number of police in and around Terminal D. I never knew the airport had so many officers. Since they are all "on duty" at the new terminal, I felt safe speeding on International Parkway.