Programs: Cathay Silver, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Flight: UA 890
Route: Tokyo – Los Angeles
Date: Jun 12, 2005
Aircraft: B777-400
Cabin: Upgraded Business Class
Schedule: 16:20-10:25
Real Time: 16:20-09:55

For this sector, the upgrade for my mom cleared one week before departure. My dad and mine cleared four days before departure, and my brother’s upgrade cleared one day before departure. Before the upgrades cleared, I was very worried and stressed about why the upgrades haven’t cleared yet. As I checked the seat map at united.com, it showed 12 unassigned business class seats. I was very worried that the 1Ks and UGSs ahead of me on the waitlist and also last minute fare paying business class passengers could fill up the empty seats. At one point, I thought about changing my flight to the later UA flight that departs at 5:25pm, which had 22 unassigned business class seats, but since there were no guarantees, the US$100 change fee was not worth it.

This was my fifth visit to The Red Carpet Club in Tokyo. The lounge was massive, with lots of seats. It was cleverly designed so that the glass petition between seat seating area would not give passengers the feelings of cramp and restricted space. The lounge soon filled up with nearly all seats occupied, as flights from Asia and US arrive at the same time. Nothing much had changed, except that Hemispheres were the only magazine available at the magazine rack. They had magazines like Ebony, News weekly etc before. The food service at the lounge was minimal and disappointing; with economy class peanuts and whole fruits were the only option. But I expected this and simply went to ate at a Japanese restaurant five minutes away from the lounge.

Onboard, the entire cabin was full 100%. It was very surprised when I saw that this plane was a European route configured B777 with no crew rest. I never thought that a B777 could mange to fly about 5500 miles without a fuel stop. The flight attendants on this flight were older aged us based flight attentions. Even though they were friendly and profession, they lack the enthusiasm and energy that the have younger flight attendant, and the difference in service and hospitality improves a lot. Anyways, here is the menu.

TO BEGIN
Sauteed herb shrimp with basil and smoked duck
Fresh lemon and Mango salsa

Fresh seasonal greens
Asian citrus or Roquefort dressing

MAIN COURSE
Herb and onion crusted filet mignon with red curry coconut sauce
Potatoes au gratin and blanced broccolini

Italian herb and permasan breaded breast of tuckey with Merlot sauce
Risotto Gorgonzola with a zucchini and carrot sauté

Japanese Obento selection

DESSERT
International cheese selection
Coulommiers and Colby Jack cheese

Fresh Apple tart

PRIOR TO ARRIVAL

Creamy spinach omelets with tomato sauce
Pork sausage links, blanched asparagus and fresh fruit appetizer

Fresh seasonal fruit plate with creamy yogurt

I had pre-ordered the obento meal in advance because I knew that I could be eating a lot of American food when I am in LA and I wanted to try something different. I had the obento meal once before, and I thought it was disappointing. But this time, the obento meal was decilicious and filling. My suggestion was that they could have more sushi like they used to before 9/11.

They were no mid-flight refreshments given the shorter duration of this flight (10 hours). The only snack item they had was peanuts. Prior to arrival, they served the choice of omelets with fruits, or fruits. I always wonder why do people order the fruit platter when 1) they want to fully enjoy the business class experience, 2) the omelets includes a smaller fruit platter already. Last June, I had the unfortunate experience of having the fruit platter on a JFK-SFO flight because I went to the bathroom when they were taking meal orders. When I came back and asked for omelets, they ran out. Learning from my misfortune, I asked the pursuer to reserve the omlets for me. As usual, they tasted delicious. The flight landed at Los Angeles on time. Contrary to how people complained about the long lines in customs and arrivals time, it only took me 20 minutes when the plane arrived at the gate to when I was outside the airport.