FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Gaza's crazy mileage run to AKL
View Single Post
Old Jun 19, 2005, 1:36 pm
Gaza

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
Gaza's crazy mileage run to AKL

After about a year in planning I am now 3 flights in to the most ridiculous amount of needless flying I have ever done. And there is still a lot nmore to go!

Saturday 18th June

Took the 07:50 LHR to WAW in Y. This was a PCPM booking to get me out there to start my DONE4. The flight was full in Y but no one was in J. It didn't stop the crew pulling the curtains over though. Later in the flight I went to the toilet and the crew were sitting in the Club seats. The flight was fine. The All Day Deli with hot cheese and ham pannini was okay although the over processed cheese was not to my taste.

I landed in WAW at 11:10 (local) and thanks to advise from another FT'er was able to head straight to the transit area and in to the shared lounge. I didn't have long to wait before I was boarding the return to LHR. This time Club was full. There seemed to be quite a few upgrades as some in Club were waving to friends/family/colleagues in Y.

I arrived back in LHR on time. As I posted the other day i wnated to get in to T1 departures to meet my friends who were heading to LAX and onwards to AKL. I had no problem going through the FCC and back down in to the departure area. A couple of pints with them in The Bridge and I then headed back off to do the loopback near the on the lower number gate pier. I then headed in to Central London on the HEX to meet Sheena who was enjoying an afternoon in the Elizabeth Arden Spa in Mayfair. After dinner we headed back to T4 for our secnd night at the Hilton.

Sunday 19th June

I had been unable to check-in online (AA issued ticket) for the BA295 to ORD but I had grabbed 11J with MMB a few months back. I cleared security quickly and wnet to the Lounge Pavillion which was surprisingly busy for an early Sunday morning. My flight was departing from Gate 25 which is the furthest gate in the dreaded Victor Zone. The heat in the walkway today was outrageous. By the time I arrived at the gate I was hot, sweaty and sticky. Not the best start to a series of flights.

Club and First were both full and it seemed most pax in those cabins were carrying onwards to Houston.

The flight passed quite quickly and I was able to grab an hour or so's sleep. The IFE was playing up at first with loud interference evry second. It eventually became less frequent and disappeared all together after about 45 minutes.

We arrived in ORD a few minutes early and I was one of the first off. Unfortunatley another flight had just arrived and Immigration was a zoo. It took about 30 minutes to get through. I then made my way to terminal efor my flight to ANC.

I am typing this in the Admirals Club at T3 waiting on my 15:15 departure to ANC. I have 6h 48m of AA Domestic First in a 757 to look forward to. I'm on the ground in ANC for 1:20 and heading back to ORD.

Will I survive 13 hours of AA Domestic First? Find out tomorrow!

Last edited by Gaza; Jun 24, 2009 at 9:54 am