FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Carry on incorrectly "tested postive" 3X's at JFK - What can i expect?
Old Jun 10, 2005, 4:30 am
Bart
Suspended

Originally Posted by daw617
Like what? I have yet to hear you suggest an alternative form of action that doesn't involve spending tens of thousands of dollars.

Ahh, but the point is that the accusations are not baseless, and the claims are not outrageous. Moreover, we should evaluate these claims on their own merits (not because of PTravel's title). I would say no special training is needed -- all you need is common sense to see that the supervisors' explanations are unsatisfactory and circular. All you need is common sense to raise questions about compliance the Privacy Act.

Feel free to provide evidence that the accusations are baseless, if you have any. Last I checked, I didn't see any such evidence here on this board.

It sure sounds like you are responding emotionally to the person, rather than thinking logically about the statements on their own merits.
We disagree then. Fair enough. The burden of proof isn't on me. I'm not the one who's whining that TSA is violating the law.

As for the Privacy Act, I'm afraid you're the one who's being naive. It requires training because government employees need to be aware of the limitations placed on them by law and policy. They also need to be aware of their obligations when dealing with the public about explaining certain provisions of the Privacy Act. My understanding of it comes more from my prior life as a military intelligence officer than it does as a TSA screener. Still, TSA has provided satisfactory instruction on it. The problem is that it's not being practiced in the field, and that will come back to haunt TSA. What surprises me is that TSA's auditors and internal inspectors haven't jumped on this already.

As for objectivity, I noticed that none of your posts were directed at PTravel. hmmmmm...bias?