FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Would you buy a airline seat for a 20 month old?
Old Jun 3, 2005, 9:10 am
pinniped
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by moeve
I can't believe that with everything we know today about the dynamics of flight - the gov bodies still allow children to fly as lap children!!! It is sooo dangerous for the child in the event that a seat should be made a requirement. You know it doesn't even have to be a crash it can just be a bad landing due to shear winds or on of the big holes in the sky where planes abruptly fall several hundred meters - your child and anything else that is loose will fly!!! and forget holding on to your child you won't be able to. Eva Air had 2 such serious incident alone this year where several adults were severly injured & small children can easily be killed.

Ok I 'm my soap box but this topic drives me mad when I see it because people are so naive & in some cases even careless with the precious lives of their children.
By that logic, children should be prohibited from riding in cars under any circumstances. My daughter's short ride to school this morning - even on side streets strapped into a correctly-installed carseat - is far more dangerous than flying as a lap child. Probably thousands of times more deadly... Talk about naive and careless! Maybe I shouldn't ever let her leave the house!!

(Then again, the chances of our house being destroyed by a tornado are probably 100's of times higher than her chances of being killed as a lap child on a flight.)