FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ: St Regis Butler Service : what do they do? how much do you tip?
Old May 31, 2005, 8:01 am
Shareholder
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
My travels don't get me to many cities that have St.Regis or Luxury Collection properties, so my experience has been relatively limited over the years these have been added to the Starwood umbrella. I know that when I have stayed at the St.Regis in NYC or Park Tower in Buenos Aires [previously] the Butler has arrived shortly after I get to my room, introduces himself and offers a tray of tea or coffee. I recall this happening in the old days at the Singapore Sheraton Towers, which also featured butler service, but not in the past few years and stays.

Earlier this month I did stay once more at the Park Tower in BA, but this time saw no butler until I had to call for an electrical plug adaptor later in the evening.

Can someone please advise what the expected protocol is for St.Rs and LCs in this regard? Should I have expected the butler to come and offer tea/coffee for a midday arrival, introduce himself, etc. [I know some folks have the butler unpack and the like, but I find that a bit over the top.] Also, is a glass of juice or sparkling wine at reception not another basic at these properties?

[BTW I did point this out on a trip follow-up survey I was asked to do last week. Yesterday I had an email from the assistant manager apologizing for these things not being done for me, and offering her personal assistance and welcome on my next visit.]