FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Can I Use AA Miles To Upgrade On BA YYZ-LHR?
Old May 28, 2005, 12:10 pm
Stefan Daystrom

Programs: AA Plat, BA, DL, Frontier, NWA, SWA, UA, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat, Choice Priv, BW, Diners
Originally Posted by Howgart
Forgive me for asking this question, as I think I recall it being answered many times in the past. (I tried search but had difficulty finding an answer. Perhaps I need a remedial search function lesson).

In a bid to bypass the co-pay, I'm wondering whether I can use AA miles to upgrade an economy ticket from YYZ-LHR on BA metal. If so, what Q points and miles can I expect? And finally, what is the BA fare code for mileage upgrades? Thanks all, and once again, my apologies for asking something I'm sure has been answered here already.
No, but you can upgrade on BA using a co-pay but no miles!

See, BA has 4 classes of service, while AA has only 3. From coach, on AA you pay $250 one-way plus miles to upgrade from coach to business. From coach, on BA you use either miles only or about $250ish one-way to upgrade from coach to premiun coach. Premium coach is llike a whole section of exit row seats (same service as regular coach, just better seat pitch).

To upgrade to business on BA, you have to BUY a premium coach ticket, and THEN use miles, which means you have to pay the EQUIVALENT of the AA co-pay (because the premium coach ticket costs at least $250ish one way more than either BA or AA regular coach ticket).

So even if you could use miles, you wouldn't be bypassing the co-pay (you'd just be paying the equivalent of a co-pay even if your upgrade to business DIDN'T go through!).

In fact, I wouldn't be suprised if this is a big reason for the co-pay having been introduced at AA: To bring them more inline with what it costs to upgrade to business on BA! (Until the co-pay, AA let you upgrade for less cash outlay than BA, and also less cash outlay than most other airlines, becuase unlike so many others AA lets you upgrade from pretty much any coach fare.)

If you do your homework (of how things work at other airlines), you'll find the co-pay is no worse than the conditions at most other airlines. It's just that AA went from being a WAY cheaper airline than most for getting international business seats at discount economy cash outlays, to being on par with the others.