FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Oahu on the super cheap..
View Single Post
Old May 23, 2005, 1:42 pm
CG

Originally Posted by seoulmanjr
Right - need a permit, but camping is free AFAIK at a lot of places. Thanks for the link!

I think that the Turtle Bay Resort will be out of my price range for this lil stopover since I'm not trying to make a real vacation out of it, but just want to bum around for a few days before heading back to work on the mainland. Thanks for the heads up about the North Shore surf that time of year. I still don't think I want to end up around the crowds of Waikiki, so maybe I'll check out Makaha or something - good waves there in July? I'm an amateur surfer at best and just want to have some fun on the cheap for a few days and get away from it all. Sounds like camping is the way to go if I don't want to be in Waikiki or spend more than $40 a night.

I would really hope that, haole or not, some ice-head wouldn't smash my window for something while I'm sleeping *in* the car!

peace,
~Ben~
They will smash in your window, occupied or not, haole or not. The beaches and "campgrounds" on the Waianae are completely overrun with ice dealers and homeless, chances are you'll see dealing even in the middle of the day. If you park your car unattended during the day, even at a popular beach, you have at least a 10% chance that it will be broken into. If you park it there at night, that percentage approaches 100%, even if you're in it. I agree with the Priceline idea, you can get a good room at a pretty good hotel (the Radisson) for $55, and you'll pay way more then the $110 for 2 nights at the Radisson when you have to pay the insurance deductable for the punched out lock or broken windows on your rental car.