FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - More Pacific Pampering (mostly.) Phuket for the weekend (!) on TG/SQ in F.
Old May 23, 2005, 10:06 am
sftrvlr

Programs: BA GLD
Originally Posted by manureva744
Excellent trip report ! I only flew TG in economy and thought it was good !
Concerning your comment about pre departure drinks I can answer your query there. I am a flight attendant for Air France and I only fly to LAX and CDG as I am based in Papeete. It is forbidden for ALL foreign airlines (I don't know about US ones) to use any alcohool as long as the doors are open due to US customs regulation. The customs tolerate that we open the bars after the doors are closed as the regulation stipulates that you can only open the bars after take off. All this because the articles inside the bars are duty free and no VAT has been added. Some airline provide CHampagne for First class passengers that has been declared and that is not duty free.
Should I open a bar for example by mistake or because a customer demanded to have a drink even though I expleined that it was not possible until we start taxying and in my misfortune, customes decide to pay a visit to our aircraft and check the seals on the bars that they are all locked and they find my one open and the seal is broken Air France would end up with a heavy fine ! It is the case in some other countries like the UK, Saudi Arabia, Singapore etc...
We have to also fill out paper work with bar numbers, seal numbers and the amount of bottles in the bars. It is OK when you work First class but believe me it is a night mare when you work economy and you have to count every single little miniature !!!
This is a long explanation to tell you why you didn't get any champ before you left LAX !

I love FT! Thanks for the explanation. Learn something new every day on this site. And now I know that AF has a base in PPT as well ... I fondly remember an AF flight I took many years ago between MNL and HKG. I was in first class on a 747 and they had a full meal service, amenity kits, etc. for that short hop. They even had FREE cigarettes in First Class! Mini packets of Marlboro and some other brand I can't remember ... probably Gitanes or the like.