FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Do you think CO will ever cave on seat pitch?
Old Sep 3, 2001, 1:58 pm
HobokenFlyer

Programs: Bonvoy-Gold, HH-Gold, UA-Gold, *A-Gold
Do you think CO will ever cave on seat pitch?

I know that it is good for CO to make money. I also know that the more seats you cram, the more people you fly and the more money you make. And I want CO to do well financially. However, I am curious about one thing....seat pitch.

I had to fly United recently because of an emergency, so I was flown out on a friend's Air Canada miles who I was seeing. The flight had me on EWR-DEN-YVR. Now, this is the first time I have flown United in YEARS, like the last time I flew United FORD was in the White House.

I was flying a 777 to DEN and a old 733 to YVR. Both planes had Econonmy Plus sections and I was seated in both sections. (Economy Plus is United's greater seat pitch section). I must say it was a real pleasure flying United on the new 777 and even the old 737. I had plenty of room (I am 5' 11") and I was quite impressed. Now I know why my sales manager of my company flies United to Europe. I could handle the 777 to Europe easily in Econ Plus.

After taking CO's 757 and 777 to England and Germany, respectively I was not so impressed with the room in coach. Both planes seemed unreasonably cramped for a top notch airline like CO and a Trans-Atlantic trip.

Don't get me wrong I am not switching to United anytime soon, however, it begs the question. Imagine the stake through the heart that CO could put to United and AA if they increased seat pitch 2 more inches? I know they would lose more money from price sensitive excusion passengers, but business passengers might be willing to pay a little more for a business coach seat, more legroom, power ports, etc.

I think they should definitely move to a 3 class cabin on transcons and transatl flight. BF/BC (business coach) and coach.

To me that's CO's only weakness right now, tight seats and narrowbodies on Transcons and transatls. I could even justify a 5-10% increase in my fares for that kind of comfort on long flights.

Any other opinions....

- HobokenFlyer