FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Embassy Suites Secaucus - Meadowlands {US-NJ}
Old May 18, 2005, 9:50 pm
AlanB
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
New Jersey is rather fussy about any alcohol sales. If it's above zero proof - it's booze! Don't go looking for beer/wine at supermarkets and convenience stores; only genuine liquor stores (and there are a limited number of licenses) can sell any hooch whatsoever there.
As far as Hilton itself goes, my last stay at ES - Portland, OR included a Manager's reception with unlimited well drinks; prices were clearly displayed for Top Shelf.
While you're right, one can't find anything other than beer in a supermarket, NJ isn't that bad by comparison to nearby states with regard to alcohol. I grew up there, before moving to NYC. There are plenty of liquor stores in NJ, all privately owned, and most are even open on Sunday's at least for the last 15 years or so.

NY only last year approved liquor sales on Sunday's. Conneticut and PA still only allow state run shops, that make liquor about 20% to 30% more pricy than NJ.

So I can't complain too much about the 1 free drink law.