FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Istanbul, Turkey {TUR}
Old May 17, 2005, 8:10 am
jan_az

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Another Ft'er and myself stayed there last MAy.

From my trip report

WE order a taxi to take us and the now considerable luggage ( turns out that throwing out the old roller was not going to be an option - so now I was truly traveling like a tourist ) - over to the Conrad. One thing I must comment on taxis were dirt cheap - except for the trip to the airport which came to about 15 USD most cab rides were in the 2-3 dollar range.

We take a beautiful ride along the Bosphorus and finally pull up to the Conrad- to be greeted by metal gates and a taxi checker person who comes out to open the trunk and the look under the cab with a mirror to make sure there are no bombs attached. ( I had never felt unsafe in Istanbul until that very moment ). Upon passing inspection we go into the hotel ( thought airport like secutity that we both set off and get waived on ( and we thought the TSA was bad ) . Check in is not a roaring success - as Hilton Diamonds we both expected upgrades to the executive floor - I am placed on a regular floor with a "view" of a wall instead of the sea view requested and Carol is given a room when she complains on the excecutive floor but the one that is smoking . I go down to tell them my room is not working for a diamond so they move me to the top floor with a sea view that is non smoking. I decide it is finally time to take this laptop that I have been carrying around and use it - the Conrad has what is supposed to be free high speed internet for diamonds . It doesnt work . Carol in the meantime goes to what she thinks is part of exec lounge and orders a Diet Coke - only to get a bill for 9millionlira ( 6 USD) - a quick discussion ascertains that this is the restaurant and the lounge is on the floor I am on - the nice waiter waives the charge. The lounge is worse than any overseas lounge I have been in - no congierce - evening "snacks" are a few cookies and some finger sandwiches - drinks are only complimentary from 5-7pm and you sign for everything, even soda and water - very strange setup. The breakfast appears to be all cold foods - it is not until the second day that we see people eating omelets etc that you can apparently order and they will deliver them at no charge - there is no written explanation of what you are entitled to- a most frustrating event.