FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in Raleigh/Durham
View Single Post
Old May 11, 2005, 4:31 pm
EWC-JMU

It ain't opening this fall, but...

Originally Posted by 2TallSeaFlyer
Apparently, the Westin Crabtree is on hold until first quarter of 2006. And we had been waiting...

Thanks for the feedback on the Raleigh Sheraton!

T
I drive by the building that is to become the Westin Crabtree (that same building used to be a Sheraton, btw, among other things) every day and hereby attest that nothing's been done. But if they start work in the next few months a 1Q '06 opening is feasible. I'm hoping it doesn't go the way of the Ritz Plaza -- wait, no, it's going to be the W South Beach, but no, it's still the Ritz Plaza -- fiasco in Miami Beach of a few years back.

That said, once it's done I think that the hotel should do well. That part of town (and the Triangle in general, IMHO) is in need of a higher-end property. Right now, its competition will be an Embassy Suites and a Marriott basically across the street (I'm told the Marriott is not so good) and a Holiday Inn (this one I know is not so good) and some lower-tier Hilton and Marriott offerings within about a mile. We locals think of Crabtree as a shopping/entertainment destination but there are tons of businesses close by.