FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Market research... or Marketing?
View Single Post
Old Apr 30, 2005, 5:25 am
parnel
At Large

[QUOTE=Ken hAAmer]
Second, my apologies to anyone offended by my recent use of the word "compliant."
It was quite offensive, so apology accepted.

It was not my intention to affix that label to anyone, but only to suggest that AC would have preferences in dealing with some people rather than others. More particularly, someone less "troublesome" than me.
Wrong, the preferences were never enunciated or demanded;space quickly became an issue and even more so when AC double checked the space they have available for the Q&A session. They forgot to add their own people when calculatiing the space they have available. As for being troublesome we had some of those types at previous events and DO's and I felt AC were adult enough to handle them professionally. You are not unique in that area as there are those who prefer to ***** rather than be proactive in suggesting that AC can do things better. It takes all types to make a world.

But it seemed generally accepted, that, though not commonplace, it was not unusual for businesses to attempt to curry favour with potential customers or persons of influence
Ah, but in this case it is the customer who has volunteered to attend a function, at significant dollar cost to some, and while there give their feedback and to ride a simulator as a gift from AC. Is AC currying favour with these good customers. Of course they are, but it is a quid per pro and we as FT'ers are stimulating a FT DO by adding a feature to it. There was a similar CO FT DO just recently. The airline, with one security exception, has not picked the attendees but has obvious interest in more seasoned travellers who can provide them with open and honest feedback while the FT members get to suggest better ways of being served or find out why their pet peeve is not acted upon. Good Give and take IMO. Remember most people are quite passionate about their airline of choice and in this case we have, in effect, our national carrier who we(at least I would) would like to be proud of.

Clearly, looking at the responses to past AC hosted/supported "DO"s, the opinions were virtually unanimous and generous, complimentary, and to AC's benefit and credit. Everyone lauded them.
There were some negative responses attached to each "DO" by some attendees and no one is being muffled. At each previous DO I invited some non FT'ers in the hope that they would shed some fresh opinions on things and get to hear about FT as well. This did not work well at the YYZ DO as the Q&A was dominated by a very few people who effectively shut out the rest of us from asking our questions or proclaiming our differences with AC. We have decided to moderate(a terrible word in these parts ) this DO so that everyone gets a good opportunity to speak about their pet peeves or likes with AC. I have invited one of AC's top five fliers who is not an FT'er but is now going to lurk and possibly join in the circus. Again, the purpose is to promote, and hopefully "freshen up" the opinions we give here.

So if I were running the AC do's, would I invite a prick like me?
Maybe the consensus of several FT'ers as to your presence is the likely scenario. Some would think you might be too vocal and not give everyone else a fair chance to give their opinions. AC certainly did not try and influence who comes, other than asking to have real travellers, but you are clearly well known to them .

So should it be a surprise that AC might prefer another attendee other than me? Moreover, should I be surprised if that was the case? Nope. Not at all.
True, but not the case in fact.

Having said that, it would appear that my "application" got lost in cyberspace (to use the phrase of another FTer) and had nothing to do with AC's "selection" process. But perhaps you can understand now why I might ask if AC would prefer a more compliant, er... scratch that, a less troublesome attendee.
Again I say BS. For one thing you did apply while I was on an unvolunteered vacation from FT due to some incessant complaining about my ability to express my opinions openly and honestly.(The over zealous use of mods by the owner of the board board comes to mind along with some whiners.) Secondly, both the member,who admits to having had some email problems, you sent your request to and myself who was in India with a faulty hard drive clearly did not communicate thouroughly enough. I did,somehow, manage to lose several dozen emails during this sojourn with HD hell. Add to that the fact I'm not your favorite poster and on your ignore list, for which I thank you BTW, and, voila we had a problem. Therefore,since you clearly dislike my posts here, should I really have gone out of my way to ensure you got a place. Human nature does enter into situations and while I like to think of myself as very very opinionated and vocal about those opinions, I also like to think I'm not prejudiced or bigoted. Some will again disagree but I digress. I do these things only and simply because I like what FT has done for my travel experience and the fact I have met some truly dedicated senior AC people (and very interesting FT'ERs) who want to improve that experience even further. I also have the time, since I do not commute to work, to dedicate to the organization of these DO's. I clearly enjoy the interactive meetings of people who travel a lot as I have done for well over 30 years.
Once the list had filled up you were on a waiting list that has not materialized due to the further space limitations placed on us by AC. We are down to 26 people from the planned 30 originally.

What I crave is access to, and hopefully influence upon, those who can make my travel life more or less enjoyable, acceptable, tolerable. That's the real reason I might like to attend a do. Even then, having access that influences is a long shot.
We all crave access to a certain degree but to take that craving to an incessant level can deprive others, in a public forum, of the ability to achieve their goals and have their voices added to the multitude of opinions we get to hear and experience.

But long shots are my forte
Then do as I did and buy ACE shares

The dinner DO following the AC event is open to all FT'ers BTW and I clearly hope you'll choose to show up for that.......but please make those plans known in advance to LEE CARNEY so we can put you on another wait list.......JUST KIDDING

Last edited by parnel; Apr 30, 2005 at 5:44 am