FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - First quarter loss of $280 million before one-time special items
Old Apr 29, 2005, 8:12 pm
GalleyWench

Originally Posted by abeflyer
Thanks Galleywench for the numbers. (I often wonder if I've been on one of your flights--sure would like to say hello).

Actually they look pretty good to me with an operating profit in March-- that would put US in the same league as SWA and AWA, so I think the worst is past.

The machinists were downsized in March and 150 FA like Teddy from PIT are retiring before the end of the year so payroll costs will continue to go down in the 2nd and 3rd quarter as senior staffing is cut and non-repetitive severance packages paid out.

Now if I am an investor, instead of a bankruptcy attorney like I am, I would see that US in the poorest quarter can turn a profit one month when the rest of the legacy carriers didn't (altho remember only US an UA due to bankruptcy have to report monthly so we have to guess at this).

I think the doomsayers should start to quiet down if they look at the month by month trend. Cash burn was bad in January but has come down considerably so by March cash was increasing.

I know myself I am more worried about my UA trip to FAR in first week in June than my US trips to DEN next week or SFO later in the month. There the FA are threatening strike and why not--they really haven't gotten a plan or cut their costs to show things are turning around.

I have my wife already talking about a fall trip to Scotland or Venice and am not worried about if US will be there. I assume they will be.

I think this also speaks well to investors about a possible AWA merger. Costs down--run two airlines under one holding company to avoid labor issues--and code share everything-- with common FF program and back office. ^
abeflyer,
Would love to meet you on one of my flights! I always tell people, I'm the one with the cockroach pin on my sweater or apron, depending on the season.
Just wanted to add that in addition to our MEC president Teddy retiring, a total of 500 f/a's took that particular buyout. Some are leaving in June, some in September and the remainder in December. On top of that there are another 400+ f/a's retiring during that same time period. I sure do hope that they replace some of them, we're already cut to the bone and to drop the staffing by almost 1000 by year's end is going to be tough to cover without additional f/a's coming back to work.
I have always been the eternal optimist, something will work out and if it doesn't I also know that there will be life after US.