FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MH/NW J/F MEL-KUL-NRT-DTW-SDF including day at Narita City
Old Apr 24, 2005, 8:57 am
SDF_Traveler

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Part 3

MH 88 - KUL-NRT - Seat 2K - B777-200

Upon arrival at the gate, all passengers are on-board with the exception of the business class passengers which are making their way from the lounge to the gate. At KLIA, there is no main security checkpoint and security is handled at the gate. I proceed through the WTMD, with shoes on, bags are x-rayed, and the I proceed directly to boarding. A dual jetway is in use one for Business the second for Economy.

As I board the aircraft I am surprised to find out it is a non-retrofit. The retrofit B777's are supposed to be on the NRT route and the FA's were a bit surprised as well. Luckily seat 2K is an old First Class seat like the previous aircraft.

Pre-departure drinks are served and the menu is provided. Departure and take-off is ontime. Flight path takes us up over the South China sea and we remain overwater for most of the flight.

After departure ammenity kits are provided and headsets for the IFE. With this being an overnight flight, my main goal was sleep. The menu:

Midnight Snack

Malaysian Satay
Our Famour Charcoal Grilled Chicken and Beef Skewers
Topped with Spicy Peanut Sauce
Seasonal Fresh Fruits

Before arrival:

Breakfast

Health Drink
Fresh Fruit Juices
Seasonal Fresh Fruits
Yoghurt

Spinach and Cheese Omelette
Accompanied by grilled chicken Sausage

OR

Chicken Brochette
Marinated Chicken Cubes, Skewered with Red Pepper and Mushrooms
Complimented with a Babacue Sauce
Vegetables and Accompaniments
Japanese Simmered Vegetables
Grilled Tomatoes with Herbs
Baked Potato Au Gratin
Steamed Japanese Rice
Bakery Selection
Jam, Marmalade, or Honey

Japanese Breakfast

Salmon Teriyaki
Taditionally Prepared and Beautifuly Presented
with Carrot Flower and Lotus
Served with Steamed Japanese Rice and Vegetables
---

Being tired, I pass on the midnight snack and ask the FA to wake me for breakfast. I fell asleep and was then woken about two hours prior to landing for breakfast; I was still extremely tired, but I had the Omelette with some grilled tomatos and potato au gratin.

After breakfast I fell back asleep until we were on final approach. The weather in Narita was on the cool side and with light rain. The approach was a bit bumpy and with the low overcast you really couldn't see much upon landing.

Upon deplaning I went to Immigrations to enter Japan for the day. In addition to the landing form, we were required to complete a health form which asked about everything from stomach problems to headaches. Despite having a massive headache from lack of sleep and sinuses, I checked no to everything ... (do they actually expect people to check yes to questions like: Have you had a headache in the past four weeks?)

The immigration line in Terminal 2 where MH 88 arrived took a good 45 minutes, as several flights arrived at the same time. A number of people were wearing medical masks including a couple of the immigrations officers. Once it was my turn, the immigration officer had no questions and passed me through after scanning my passport and putting the arrival sticker in. For Customs, the only concern the customs officer had was how long I was in Malaysia and I just told him I only transited the airport on this trip. He went through my passport and looked at all the stamps and noticed my Malaysia entry/departure stamps were not recent. No search of luggage and I was off.

First stop was finding an ATM - found a CitiBank ATM and pulled out 10,000 yen. Next, I needed to find a place to store my roll-a-board. The information desk was very helpful and suggested I catch the bus to Terminal 1, where my connecting flight departs. I caught the bus, found the luggage storage place and gave them my roll-a-board (500 yen, pay at pickup).

Next: Narita City