FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - US Centurion qualification jumps to $250,000 on May 1, 2005
Old Apr 18, 2005, 9:17 pm
JAGMAP

Programs: Starwood Residences Owner, AA 1MM, MP Gold, Avis-Hertz PC, Ritz Gold
For the life of me I can't figure out how the Centurion Card is worth $2500/year. Unless you travel a lot, it's truly quite pointless.

Elite status with CO, DL, & US really isn't that valuable. You could do a Gold or Platinum challenge with AA (I think DL now, too) and could obtain status for well under $1000. I live in Dallas, so their preferred carriers for elite status (and airline lounges) mean nothing to me. Total Value for this Perk: $0

Hotel upgrades? Cruise upgrades? VIP treatment at airports? Platinum status with SPG? Car rental upgrades/status? Centurion Travel Services' greatest competitor in this premium sector is Virtuoso, and their service eclipses anything CTS can do. An educated (and sophisticated) consumer would realize CTS does not have a monopoly in this travel sector and would seek out competitors. When was the last time CTS sped anyone through Customs & Immigration or coordinated a Town Car to meet you at the bottom of a jet bridge of a commercial flight? Total Value for this Perk: $0

My father is a charter member so he only pays $1000/year (otherwise he'd cancel it) and each year I look at the Centurion Kit and am shocked that people think it's worth 1)dying trying to get $150K in spending & 2)paying $2500/year for a piece of plastic that supposedly has "exclusive" perks that can be obtained by almost anyone for not a lot of [extra] money.

As Businessman so aptly stated, it's targeted for those who, well, don't care whether they have it or not. I have a feeling those types don't frequent this website (excluding UK citizens), nor call AX to find out what the requirements are, nor whine when requirements are raised. There's really no reason to become upset if you aren't within the target market parameters. Afterall, that is something American Express defines, not you (even if you are the customer).