FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Using ECV Free ticket. In despair.
View Single Post
Old Apr 9, 2005, 2:43 pm
keithguy

Originally Posted by De'Teri Mayes
Yes, the bumping was definitely involuntary. I thought something was up because they first offered us the free tickets or $300 vouchers if we gave up our seats. Another couple took that deal, but we did not. We were trying to make a wedding and were already making a very short weekend of it because we had to travel somewhere else shortly after this weekend trip. That is when they asked for people to give up their seats for the above compensation. Nobody took the offer, so at that point they said too bad, there are not any seats. Then, they gave us the same offer as if we had voluntarily given up our seats. We asked if that was proper and they said that it was. Logically it did not seem right to me, but I did not have knowledge or experience in this area. Perhaps I should have fought it. A few weeks later, after my longer trip, I remember doing research that made me think that I was screwed. I sent an email to northwest to ask them if what happened to me was correct and they said that it was entirely proper. I let it go deciding to not waste more time on it. Plus, we had free tickets.
NW is allowed to offer you travel credit/free ticket vouchers when you are involuntarily denied boarding (which you were), however, you don't have to accept it. If you don't accept it, NW is obliged to give you the cash payout. NW agents not telling you about the cash option seems very sneaky.

Were you asked to sign any forms when receiving your vouchers? It'd probably be something along the lines of 'I hereby release Northwest Airlines from any claims related to NW XXXX'. Hopefully, you did not as it strengthens your case of being involuntarily denied boarding.

If it's worth the time and effort to you, you might want to complain to the US Department of Transportation - they don't like airlines treating involuntarily denied boardings as denied boardings and if they find out, then you can receive the cash payout.