FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Questions re: Kyoto and Hiroshima
View Single Post
Old Apr 1, 2005, 8:03 pm
mosburger

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by nparker99
Unfortunately I can't do the guided tours.....already purchased my 7 day japanrail pass (yesterday). Now my husband thinks it's better if we just stay in Kyoto (instead of schlepping our luggage to Hiroshima/Miyajama). We've decided to stay 2 nights at the Westin (using *wood points) and 1 night at a Ryokan. Hiiragiya wanted 27,000Y/pp for a very small room without private bath and 55,000Y/pp for a room with a private bath. As nice as this place looks, I just can't justify spending over $1,000 a night for "the experience". Call me crazy. Are there any nice Ryokans (doesn't have to be luxurious....just clean and nice) in the $400 or less a night ($200/pp) category in Kyoto? I've seen people mention the Three Sisters but have no idea what the price is or how to contact them via email).
If you are mainly interested in the bathing and dining aspects in a Ryokan, you might want to try the Kurama Onsen mini-"Resort". It's located on a mountainside just north of Kyoto proper and accessible through the Eizan mountain railway line. The train ride itself is quite enjoyable and the Onsen can organize a van to pick you up from Kurama station.

http://japaneseguesthouses.com/db/kyoto/kurama.htm

When I lived in Kyoto I normally took guests there for a day tour. We'd start by hiking to the mountaintop Kurama Temple ( Kurama-Dera ) and enjoy the tranquility and scenery up there before either taking the cable car or walking back to Kurama village. Then buy some rice wine from the village shop and enter the outdoor ( same-sex ) baths, have a little Sake, read, dream and relax. After the bath the "resort" offers a wide choice of local fine ( or simple ) dining. Actually we'd normally take the train back to Kyoto to go my friends steak eatery, but the food at Kurama Onsen is really quite good if one desires the Kaiseki typically offered at a Ryokan.