FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Frequent Travelers Who Donate Blood or its Components: Travel Information for You
Old Mar 30, 2005, 3:39 pm
Lindisfarne

You can also add England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Isle of Man, Falkland Islands, Gibraltar, Channel Islands if you lived there for over 3 months They also exclude virtually all of Western Europe if you'd lived there for more than 6 months (due to mad cow). However, they didn't include Russia! which is ridiculous, as anyone who's ever lived in Russia for any amount of time knows -- there are a lot of products imported from Western & Eastern Europe, including meat products, which carry the same dangers they would in W. & E. Europe! Once I realized all this, I refused to give blood on moral grounds as I felt that if they would have excluded me based on living in W. or E. Europe for 6 months, they should definitely exclude me for living in Russia for that amount of time.

You are not eligible to donate if, since 1980, you :
# Spent a total time of 3 months or more in any of these countries:
England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Isle of Man, Falkland Islands, Gibraltar, Channel Islands, or

# Spent a total time of 6 months or more in any combination of these countries:
Albania, Andorra, Austria, Azores, Belarus, Belgium, Boznia/Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Channel Islands, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, England, Estonia, Falkland Islands, Faroe Island, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Greenland, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland (Republic of), Isle of Man, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Madeira Islands, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Netherlands (Holland), Northern Ireland, Norway, Oman, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Scotland, Slovak Republic (Slovakia), Slovenia, Spain, Svalbard, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, Vatican City, Wales, Yugoslavia (includes Kosovo, Montenegro and Serbia)

For other blood donation restrictions, see:
http://www.redcross.org/services/bio..._,00.html#trav
Then click on Link "Learn more about vCJD and donation" from the Travel subheading

Last edited by Lindisfarne; Mar 30, 2005 at 4:59 pm