FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Frequent Travelers Who Donate Blood or its Components: Travel Information for You
Old Mar 30, 2005, 1:29 pm
Canarsie
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Frequent Travelers Who Donate Blood or its Components: Travel Information for You

As a frequent traveler who regularly donates platelets every two weeks whenever possible, I am usually questioned whether I have been outside of the United States and — if so — how much time I spent and in which countries did I spend that time.

I found out this morning that if I go to Asunçion, which is the capital of Paraguay, I can still donate blood. If I go to Iguazu Falls, which is located near the confluence of Brazil, Paraguay and Argentina, I can still donate blood. If I fly from Asunçion to Foz de Iguassu, I can still donate blood. However, if I travel by land through Paraguay from Asunçion to Iguazu Falls, I cannot donate blood for an entire year.

This thread is dedicated to FlyerTalk members who donate blood or its components (platelets, red blood cells, plasma, etc.) and need to know information concerning where to visit and still be eligible to donate blood or its components. Any useful information that can be provided in this thread will be helpful.

While the American Red Cross location where I donate platelets could not give me a list or an Internet web site for specific information about what parts of the world would preclude one from donating blood or its components if one visited them, I was told that basically any areas with a history of malaria, Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome (AIDS) or Mad Cow disease are areas of concern for the American Red Cross. To complicate matters, each area of concern can have different circumstances. I was also advised to refer to the Internet web site of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for more information.

As people all over the world donate blood and its components, I do not want this thread to become centric to the United States.

Please post in this thread whatever information can be posted pertaining to the rules and restrictions in each nation, country or territory for frequent travelers donating blood or its components.

Hopefully, with the information that will be complied in this thread, frequent travelers will be better informed in deciding where in the world they want to visit while still being able to donate blood or its components. I will attempt to find out information in greater detail and add them to this thread, if I can.

Thank you in advance.