FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Note to CCY
Thread: Note to CCY
View Single Post
Old Mar 30, 2005, 9:44 am
SS255

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
I sent two complaint letters: 1 to Deborah Thompson, and the other to Bruce Ashby. Yesterday I received a call from someone in Deborah Thompson's office, and we chatted for about 10 minutes. He told me that CA was inundated with complaints this weekend, so it's taking them a while to respond to people. He also mentioned that Deborah does have quite a bit of influence with CCY when there is a customer backlash. In this particular instance, the complaints have been overwhelmingly from US1's and US2's (surprise, surprise), so my recommendation -- especially if you're a US1 or US2, is to just flood Consumer Affairs with complaints.

By the way...I told him that I booked a flight on UA the other day, which up until last week would have been a shoe-in for US. The LAX club closure was the final straw for me. Then I sent him a nice follow up e-mail explaining why I booked UA over US, and he said he'd make sure it got into the right hands. I have pasted an excerpt from my e-mail below:

1) The fare on UA was $378, vs. $490 on US for roughly the same schedule. I can justify spending an extra $110 to fly US, but...
2) ...my only viable option on US on the outbound was a 7AM flight through PHL. The only other flight besides the redeye was a 1PM flight through PHL that would have gotten me into AVP at 11:51PM. The Phildelphia factor, combined with...
3)...the fear of having to arrive at LAX by 4:30 or 5AM for a 7AM flight in order to clear security due to all of the WN flights on a peak travel day (Saturday before July 4), and then...
4)...if by some miracle the security line is short, I have no sanctuary in the stinkhole which is Terminal 1 at LAX in which to pass the time prior to boarding, influenced me to choose United. To top it off...
5) ...the codeshare flight in which the outbound would have been on UA which would have enabled me to avoid the above scenarios and still book US and fly them on the return was over $800! I may be willing to pay a rational premium to fly US, but not over twice as much!