FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Taipei: Which Starwood? [Master thread]
View Single Post
Old Mar 24, 2005, 10:12 pm
yyy

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium
Trip Report: Westin Taipei vs Sheraton Taipei

Hi all, I am currently on a trip in Taipei and had the opportunity to stay at both Westin and Sheraton. Here's my 2 cents on both hotels:

Westin
Promotion: Buy 2 nights get 1 free
Total for 3 nights: $12000NT before 5% tax and 10% service charge
Room type: 1 Bed
Experience:
Got a room near the elevator on the SPG floor. Room feels new and quite spacious. Full size work desk with chairs on both sides and a seating area for 2-3 people. Comes with quality robe, slippers and heavenly bed. Good size tub and full glass standing shower. Internet appears to be free - wasn't asked for T&C and wasn't charged for use. ~10 min to Fu-shin line MRT.
Food: Didn't try. But there is a Starbucks next to lobby, Mongolian BBQ and Taiwanese restaurants across street.
Service: Not applicable

Sheraton: Part 1 - Three award nights
Room type: 2 beds
Experience:
Got a near on the other end of the elevator, not on a SPG floor. Though I was given 2 drink vouchers for being a SPG elite member. Sheraton just underwent renovations so the room was quite new. (I wouldn't say it's better than Westin). Room and bathroom size is definitely smaller than Westin. Internet is $600/NT per night!! Excellent location: 1 min away from the MRT (train-station-to-SYS-memorial line).
Food: Pretty good Italian food. I also heard good things about the Japanese restaurant.
Service: Icebox is refilled with ice everyday. Received excellent service from Sheraton Taipei direct reservation and concierge. Ivy from reservation was extremely helpful in helping me figure out what’s the best thing to do with my last-min booking. Maggie at the concierge was very helpful too. Not only did she help me figure out how to take a bus to Hsin-chu, she also called me to make sure everything was went well.

Sheraton: Part 2
Promotion: 2 nights get 1 free
Total for 3 nights: $10000NT before 5% tax and 10% service charge
Room type: 1 King
Experience:
Got a similar room near the elevator, but on the SPG floor. Less view. Bathroom has a smaller tub and sink. Internet is still $600NT/day. Was given only 1 drink voucher.

In short, I like Westin much more because the room is more spacious and comfortable. Furthermore, it's not really more expensive than Sheraton after you factor in internet access. What I like about Sheraton is the easy access to MRT (to go to East downtown) and the friendly staff. Having said that, I still can’t get over the $600NT internet...

Last edited by yyy; Mar 24, 2005 at 10:15 pm