FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why are taxes so high on BA int'l flights, but not on easyJet int'l flights?
Old Mar 20, 2005, 9:13 am
Globe Trots

Originally Posted by pdotie
But is this difference not because BA is a direct flight and the KLM flight is via AMS so you get stung for the taxes there too?

P
Well, KLM's strategy over here in Singapore is to portray themselves as one of the cheapest european options for the SIN-Europe route. In fact, off-hand, I can't think of any cheaper european airline for this route. BUT, their taxes are pretty much deleting any price advantage they might have.

That said, while I can understand having to pay higher taxes because I take an indirect flight, KLM's taxes are still pretty much the highest amongst all other other in-direct options.Here's a list of recently checked taxes for the SIN-London route:

All rates in Singapore dollars (it's about 1 GBP=3.1 SGD)
BA = $192
SQ = $210 (strangely different from BA...)
CX = $204
Turkish Air = $234 (this is a SIN-BKK-IST-LHR trip)
KLM = $301
Emirates = $150 (Gatwick)
AF = $361
(oh, and SIN-AMS on KLM has taxes of $168)

OK, going to stop now that that post is getting more and more OT
(PS. rather sadly, for my next trip up to the UK, I'm not going to be able to fly BA because my trip involves the UK, Ukraine, Romania & Turkey, and using London as a hub for that sort of travel ex-singapore just doesn't make sense.. so Turkish Airways here I come! SIN-BKK-IST-LHR **sob**)