FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why are taxes so high on BA int'l flights, but not on easyJet int'l flights?
Old Mar 20, 2005, 5:16 am
Roger
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by Jenbel
Well EZ doesn't absorb them - EZ just doesn't state them explicitly like BA does as part of their taxes. EZ (as you state) at LGW are probably paying full PSC - but their policy means that PSC is included in the ticket price, while BA excludes it from the ticket price, and puts it in the extras bit. Passenger still has to pay for them, one way or the other. However, EZ is a LCC - that just doesn't relate to ticket price, it's means they strive to keep all their costs down as far as possible. So I would imagine that a lot of the non internationally mandated charges, such as internal airline security charges are lower for EZ than for BA - hence how they keep ticket price cost down for some of the time.
Yes, we agree (except I doubt that security charges for EZ are significantly lower than for BA).

I have pointed out in other posts examples where EZ's total price including extras is lower than BA's charge for extras alone. Nobody has been able to explain that, other than BA charging extra for costs which EZ (and some others) include in the basic fare.