FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why are taxes so high on BA int'l flights, but not on easyJet int'l flights?
Old Mar 19, 2005, 2:22 am
Jenbel
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by Roger
Sure, at some of the fields with a hut that LiarAir use, but certainly not at LGW for example, where easyJet must be the biggest operator by flight movements and passengers by now, having overtaken BA some time ago.

I'm sure BAA (operator of LGW) offer EZ no more or less favourable terms for psc's than to BA, so how come BA's flights from LGW attract such extra charges which EZ manage to absorb?
Well EZ doesn't absorb them - EZ just doesn't state them explicitly like BA does as part of their taxes. EZ (as you state) at LGW are probably paying full PSC - but their policy means that PSC is included in the ticket price, while BA excludes it from the ticket price, and puts it in the extras bit. Passenger still has to pay for them, one way or the other. However, EZ is a LCC - that just doesn't relate to ticket price, it's means they strive to keep all their costs down as far as possible. So I would imagine that a lot of the non internationally mandated charges, such as internal airline security charges are lower for EZ than for BA - hence how they keep ticket price cost down for some of the time.