FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Gold/Platinum Challenge sanity check please!?!
Old Mar 16, 2005, 11:42 am
ijgordon
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AAND
Actually I guess I was slightly wrong - if your GLD status posts after the first leg, you will get the GLD bonus for the first leg and the PLT for the second. By signing up for both, you would have your first set of 4 stickers upon returning to the US.
No, no, no. Bonus miles do NOT count as "Miles Towards Gold / Platinum / Executive Platinum Upgrades", only butt-in-seat miles, and only miles earned after you qualify for Elite. So assuming Truly is flying JFK-CDG (she never states her domestic origin), that's about 3,635 miles each way, so only 7,270 miles toward upgrades after the first round trip, IF she signs up for Gold and Platinum simultaneous challenges. A good reason to push for the dual-track challenge.

Originally Posted by Truly
So once I go Platinum, will that help me at all on my next two trips (Paris business class and Rome coach)? I've never had status before on ANY airline so I have no idea what to expect. I wouldn't get upgraded from coach on the flight to Rome for example, right?
Platinum won't really help you on your CDG trip in J, except the 100% bonus miles. However, on your coach trip to Rome, you will get to use (a) business class check-in, (b) priority security line, and (c) the Admiral's Club lounge. All very valuable perks. Obviously you get all these perks as part of the J ticket to CDG. In terms of an upgrade on the FCO trip, your Platinum status puts you higher in the pecking order of operational upgrades, if they need to do them because coach is oversold, but don't count on it. There are apparently a number of factors that go into who gets these op ups and it's often at the gate agent's discretion.