FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Gold/Platinum Challenge sanity check please!?!
Old Mar 16, 2005, 7:02 am
Truly

Programs: UA 1K, HH Silver, *Wood Gold, Marriott Silver
Gold/Platinum Challenge sanity check please!?!

Hello AA experts,

I have a few trips to Europe planned in the next couple of months and am planning to do one or both of the Challenges. I was hoping some kind soul would do a sanity check of my plan before I take the plunge and call AA.

Here's the deal:

I am definitely going to Paris business class, leaving March 19. My corporate travel agent is booking the flight. I believe I will get 150% miles for the RT which should be just over 10,000 Q-points.

I am PROBABLY going to Paris business class again, leaving April 9 or 10 and returning April 22. This trip is confirmed but not booked so who knows if I'll end up flying AA. It's not guaranteed.

I am definitely flying AA again in May to Rome, departing May 27, and returning June 1. I booked this flight myself but had to use an AA agent so I didn't get any extra points or anything for booking it online.

It seems to me that I could go straight to Platinum just with the first flight, right? I could also go Gold after the first leg so I'd be Platinum for the return but I can't think why I'd bother - are there any benefits to being Platinum over Gold when flying Europe-->US? There is no separate First Class on any of these flights I will be taking.

Am I thinking about this the right way? Have I left out some important fact? Experts, my status is in your hands ...

Thanks so much,

Truly