FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - JFK <-> SYD Non-Stop - now that's a flight I need an upgrade on!
Old Feb 27, 2005, 12:34 am
spotwelder

Location: SCL, MCT, LGW and a variety of 1W lounges in between.
Programs: BA Mucci (Seigneur et Ingenieur des Appareils Volants (Gold)), QF (WP and LTG), AA EXP, GF Gold
Not really mileage runners!

Hi,

Well you lot do not sound like really mileage junkies to me. I used to do two round the worlds a month Europe-North America-South West Pacific-Asia-Europe and then I moved onto flying LHR-SIN-SYD-CBR every weekend, there or back. My average flight time per week was 29.5 hours.

If I had been in Washington DC and there was a choice between JFK direct SYD or going through the zoo of LAX, you bet, get me on that AATR72 from AAmericAAn EAAgle out of National and I would be away.

The reason that the market is a bit thin via LAX is that you have to go through LAX. Have you ever tried it as a non-US citizen? Even hand baggage only it is not too nice.

If it is a day flight for most of the 20 hours then the jet lag in economy will be OK if you remember to stay awake.

As for the old flight times in the props, yes they routinely did over 18 hours in passenger service. Some aircraft were capable of much longer flight times. In WW2 there were several aircraft based at my home airport which carried out 28 hour missions as standard on ice patrol from Scotland on the Russian convoy runs.

Back to planning my trips for the next two months London-MEL-SYD-CBR-CNS and home, London-Ghana for three days, London-Nigeria day return, London-Argentina and 5 domestics, London-Bogota and 4 domestics and who the hell suggested going London Saipan for a day's work?