FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Miles viz Points ?
View Single Post
Old Feb 11, 2003, 7:59 am
Wingnut

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mike turnbull:
get it switched to another *A carrier where miles are the order of the day...if that were possible.</font>
You won't be able to get your DC points converted into another *A scheme. You can, of course, join another *A scheme (for example, I'm in UA's scheme too) but they remain separate. As to what happens when you move out of BD's catchment area, that's a good question. Retain a UK address, I suppose!

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">It just seems to me that earning and burning miles is a whole lot easier for all concerned.....</font>
Yes and no. There are swings and roundabouts to each scheme, and the earning and burning possibilities are fairly tightly pegged with benefits occasionally to each scheme. In terms of ease of redemption though, and the possibility of long haul upgrade awards, then other FFPs are better.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I can then refer to the 16 award zones published by United which seems to infer that these apply to all *A carriers....</font>
No. Each * carrier has its own * Award chart. For a comparison, see Hagbard Viking's Star Award chart. There's always idiosyncratic discrepencies between schemes - it's up to you to find the ones that work for you!

[This message has been edited by Wingnut (edited 02-11-2003).]