FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - When to Use Points/Value of Points
View Single Post
Old Feb 23, 2005, 6:43 am
pinniped
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jon Maiman
I struggle with this question. I had been of a mind to save up my MR points for a big free vacation courtesy of MR. Now that I am in that zone (235,000 points) and still earning lots of points via business stays, I am thinking of modifying my redemption strategy. Occassionally I have need to stay at a local hotel while doing renovations on my house. So far I have paid for those stays. Now, I am thinking of redeeming points instead and saving my cash. I will still have plenty left for a free big vacation. Only thing holding me back until now is wanting to ensure I will hit the minimum number of nights for gold renewal this year. At my current rate of travel, I'll just miss platinum this year (missed by 5 ngihts last year). Also the new Megabonus deal is swaying me to still do paid stays. For now, I'll probably continue to pay until I complete the Megabonus and than re-evaluate. May continue to pay until I qualify for platinum (or have no chance of doing so) and then start redeeming.

By the way if I did redeem now, I can typically get 1 cent to 1.5 cent per point value for local stays. I consider that acceptable and better than my return on miles for an typical local/domestic airline trip. Have far fewer miles accrued, so still hording them until I have enough for a free big trip (e.g. 2 x tickets in C or F to Europe or Hawaii).

Bottom line, it is a personal decision. I don't think there is a single correct answer.

--Jon

Well, if you hoard just a little while longer, your travel package will give you enough FF miles for those two C tickets to Europe or Hawaii. (Not that I'd recommend blowing miles on C to Hawaii unless you know your airline offers a good product in that market.)

If I were that close to 250k again, I think I'd hold out for the whole enchilada. Pittsburgh is easily Pricelineable. A nice resort in Hawaii is a bit less so and Europe hotels can get very expensive. (Whether you want an American chain business hotel on your Euro vacation is entirely a personal choice.) Finally, two biz seats to Europe would not suck... ^