FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Malaysia: Asia’s Best Kept Secret? (w/pics)
Old Feb 17, 2005, 10:39 pm
SR 103

Malaysia: Asia’s Best Kept Secret? (w/pics)

The Flight: Once we were airborne, the crew sprung into action by handing out headphones and amenity kits. An announcement was made about the entertainment system being turned on, so I decided to pull out my PTV which turned out to be larger than expected. It was almost identical to the KLM PTV on the 777’s. The interface was rather easy and the picture was clear and crisp. I settled on “Paparazzi” for tonight’s movie.
Hot towels were passed out with another smile and linens were placed on our tray tables a short while later. The menu for tonight’s Supper was:

Malaysian Satay
Our Famous Charcoal Grilled Chicken and Lamb Skewers
Topped with Spicy Peanut Sauce

Appetizer
Fried Idli Chat

Mughlai Murgh
Mild Spicy Indian Chicken Dish
Or
Rogan Josh
Traditional Lamb Dish Kashmiri Style
Or
Prawn Thermidor

Vegetables and Accompaniments
VICHY CARROT AND GREEN BEANS
DHINGRI PALAK CORN
KABULI MINT PULAO
CREOLE POTATO

Seasonal Fresh Fruits

Bread Selection

A drink cart came down the aisle first and the steward asked me for my drink choice. I opted for a glass of Pepsi which was placed on my tray along with the full can.
http://myaviation.net/?pid=00277712
A trolley was rolled down the aisle by the lead purser and once it got close to me, I paused the movie.
“Hello Mr. Tamboowala. Would you like some satay tonight?”
I nodded
“Excellent. We have chicken or lamb. You are more than welcome to have both if you wish.”
“Just the chicken for me tonight please.”
“Absolutely Mr. Tamboowala.”
http://myaviation.net/?pid=00277714
The plate was handed to me with a cold towel. As far as the satays go, Malaysian, you have a winner here. They were a really nice treat and I think this dish is one of the highlights of flying Malaysia. I really cannot describe how mouth watering they really were. The peanut sauce made it taste even better. The cold towel was certainly needed, as I had oil and peanut sauce all over my fingers. A small touch like this clearly showed Malaysia, had thought of everything.
http://myaviation.net/?pid=00277716
http://myaviation.net/?pid=00277718
The plate was cleared and a dinner tray was brought around. A breadbasket was offered as well with a choice between two rolls and a paratha; I selected a twisted bread roll. The appetizer was a little on the tangy/spicy side, but I believe it is meant for an acquired taste as the people around me seem to enjoy it. It was collected a short while later and the main course trolley rolled around. For those of you unfamiliar with the meal concept on Malaysia Golden Club Class, each plate is individually created in front of you as per your wish, much like First Class on many airlines in the past. I simply opted for the prawns and potatoes today.
http://myaviation.net/?pid=00277722
Despite the funky look, it was delicious. I was not expecting it to be so good, but I was pleasantly surprised. The dessert today was a bowl of fruits consisting of two orange slices, two pineapple slices, two papaya slices and a single grape. They were fine, but I was surprised it was not a proper desert, which I’d have preferred. Then again it was past midnight when the meal was served so I assume most passengers preferred it to be light. Once I was done, the tray was collected and a glass of water was put on my armrest along with a hot towel to clean up. I reclined my seat and finished the rest of the movie.

The choices for this month’s Audio Video on Demand (AVOD) were:

Movies
The Cookout
The Locket
Nine Lives (Unstoppable)
Suspect Zero
Vanity Fair
Cellular
Criminal
Funky Monkey
Noel
Paparazzi
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
Taxi
The Village
Wicker Park
Without a Paddle

TV
Absolutely Fabulous
Boomtown
Coupling
Dolce Vita
The Drew Carey Show
Everybody Loves Raymond
Fast Track
It’s Good to be Donald Trump
Planet Rock Profiles
The Ryder Cup 2004 Highlights
Music Videos
In-seat Exercise Video
maid:00277709
Not listed above is the music album list which is huge! I decided to settle in on “Café Del Mar –Volume 7” to zone out with. It did the trick as I was in a trance until descent started two hours later. First the lights were put on and then the captain came on the PA to announce descent. A minute later, a steward came by with a tray of orange juice, guava juice, and mango juice. I, of course, opted for the mango again which quenched my thirst. Another round of hot towels and I was refreshed and ready for landing. The crew were still all smiles, genuinely happy to full fill any request from passengers. The lead flight attendant was walking around doing some final checks and came upon my seat and turned to me.
“How was everything Mr. Tamboowala?”
“Everything was excellent. Thank you for asking.”
“My pleasure. Was this your first time flying Malaysia Airlines?”
“This is my first time.”
“Well I hope we made a lasting impression on you.”
“You have no idea!”
She smiled and went back to the galley.