FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Online check-in upgrade without a printer?
Old Feb 16, 2005, 7:26 pm
themicah

Originally Posted by dwh
Suppose you check-in 24 hours prior and have two segments. You get asked if you want to upgrade to first. You say yes. On one segment you are told that you are upgraded to first class. For the other segment, you are told that First class is full and you are being put on the waitlist.

If you then abort, and try again a few hours later, will you still HAVE the one segment that cleared in first class (i.e. that upgrade will "stick"), and then it will still be possible to snag an F seat that crops up on the previously unavailable segment?
This is essentially the same question as (3) in your original post.

I'm still 90% sure that it will "stick" even if you abort. I know for sure that if you've been upgraded BEFORE you start OLCI and you abort OLCI, you will not lose your upgrade. But I've never aborted OLCI after an instant OLCI upgrade (instant OLCI upgrades are rare).

You can differentiate an EUA upgrade from an instant OLCI upgrade by the message you get after you click "yes" to the "do you want to upgrade" query. There are four possible responses that I've seen. I am paraphrasing, but they are roughly:
  1. "FC was not available, you've been waitlisted"
  2. "FC was not available on this flight" (i.e., you're on a CRJ or SF3 with no FC)
  3. "You were already in FC" (i.e., you were EUAed in advance)
  4. "You have been upgraded to FC" (i.e., congrats on your instant OLCI upgrade)

The probability of your hypothetical scenario (where you get response #4 for one seg and response #1 for another seg) is very small. But if it were to occur, my strategy would be to abort, then look up my itinerary through "View Reservations" to see if I'm still in FC. Again, I'm 90% sure I'd find it "stuck." But if it didn't, I could immediately repeat OLCI and hope to snag the same seat again.