FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The ultimate Emirates seating guide
View Single Post
Old Feb 12, 2005, 1:41 am
dusordua

Great idea - but lot of work to do!

Dear Mogensen:

you will need lot of information gathered by other Ek-flyers, to get all different seats and configurations of the EK fleet.
Because EK gives not this information (they know that their seats are below average), it is important to make the work ourselves.

I just returned from a flight to Melbourne. DUS-DXB and DXB-MEL in J-class, the return legs in Y-Class. The aircrafts used were an A340-300 and A340-500.
Let me start today with my report about the A340-300.
The giving informations are my own observations (yes, I took a measuring device with me - don't ask me, what my wife thought about this: she was looking for a seat away from me).

A340-300 Business Class:

Seating: 2-3-2
Seat pitch: 54" = 137 cm (the pitch of all bulkhead seats is around 50".).
Seat width: 18" = 46 cm
Seat recline: 11" = 28 cm (EK-information)
TV screen: 14" = 35,5 cm

My opinion:
Same business class seats like on the A330-200. Comfortable for day flights up to 8 hours. Not comfortable on night flights, when you like to find some sleep (too narrow, recline is not good enough).

A340-300 Economy class:

Seating: 2-4-2 (EK says they have 2-4-3 too - I never saw it and hope I never will).
Seat pitch: 31" = 79 cm
Seat width: 17,5" = 44,5 cm
Seat recline: 6" = 15 cm (EK-information)
TV-screen: 6" = 15 cm (EK says 6,5" = 16,5 cm).

My opinion:
I think the 340-300 seats are the most comfortable economy seats in the whole EK fleet (still nothing to write home about).
EK received their A340-300s from Singapore Airlines and I think in economy they only changed the cover of the seats to EK-colours. The IFE-system in the seats is different than on other Ek-aircrafts.

Best seats:
bulkhead row 16 and row 27 (exit seats in row 27 have lot of leg room). The problem: normaly you can not reserve bulkhead and exit row seats in advance.
Be aware:
There is an equipment box for the IFE under every window seat (A/K) and every aisle seat in the middle row (D/G), which limits the foot room under seats in front of you. But on this aircraft the box is much smaller than on other EK aircrafts, it takes only about 20% of the available room away.

This is all information I gathered about the A340-300. May be someone else can comment about first class.
Next time I will give information about the A340-500.

Last edited by dusordua; Mar 8, 2005 at 3:45 am