FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Transport Minister Lapierre to move fast to allow U.S. airlines to fly within Canada
Old Feb 11, 2005, 7:29 pm
Guava
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Loretta Woodcock, who speaks for the CAW, says an open skies policy would lead to intense competition, which in the long run would be bad for the entire industry.

"It will have a negative impact on customers and it will have a negative impact on employees," Woodcock said. "I think that this is going to be a deterioration, no only for airline employees in terms of their working conditions, but it's also going to be a deterioration in customer service in Canada."
http://nb.cbc.ca/regional/servlet/Vi...rports20050209

Really? Ms. Woodcock obviously has some very interesting thoughts on market forces and free economy. I especially like this "negative impact on customers". So it's bad for customers because they have more choice and more bargaining power? Or should people still be stuck with that 'shut up and fly' treatment over the past few years in Canada? Some unions are really hurting the people they try to protect. I guess she could learn a lesson from Wal-Mart...