FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Getting status miles when travel policy won't allow it!
Old Feb 11, 2005, 12:11 pm
Mozzarella

Programs: ACMM SE100K; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum Elite
Getting status miles when travel policy won't allow it!

Wow - my first post on FT!!! I've been a lurker for several months now and I have to thank the entire gang here for enlightening me on the goings on of a frequent traveller. I changed jobs recently and only geared up my travel in the fall of '04, enough to make Prestige (Lite - thus followed with interest the thread on this topic). The good thing is that most of my travel is short-haul and the new lower segment numbers will help me to make Elite this year.

My question is as follows: Most of my travel is from YYZ to YUL, YWG, YYC and LAX or SFO (with a once in a blue moon trip to LHR). However, the company I work for has a travel policy that says lowest fare rules (which, in Canada is Tango and its non-status miles. It's not so bad for the US as fun fares usually undercut Tango). Any secrets on getting around this to get status miles (without the obvious one which is to ignore the policy!)

Supplemental question - has anyone found a way to avoid the 50% restriction on Canada miles by routing a flight through a US city (eg ORD or DEN) to YYC/YVR? Is it possible given open skies restrictions? if so, how does one book it?

Thanks a lot and keep up the great work!!!! ^