FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cebu, Philippines or Bangkok/Pattaya, Thailand?.. And where to stay?
Old Feb 9, 2005, 12:53 am
jpatokal

Originally Posted by around the world
I noticed The Peninsula and The Mandarin Oriental in BKK are at least $200++/night. Is it possible to get any attractive (read: highly discounted) rates for these properties?
The quick answer to that would be "no". (I also don't think they represent particularly good value by Bangkok standards, but that's another kettle of fish.)

My main concern is my safety and well-being. Is it safe for a young guy like myself (over 21) to travel to Thailand alone? I feel the Philippines is very safe but not sure how things are like in Thailand.
The Philippines are considerably more dangerous than Thailand, largely thanks to the easy availability of firearms. In Thailand you're unlikely to encounter anything worse than opportunistic petty theft.

My requirements are: nice accommodations that provide good value for money, excellent dining, good nightlife, friendly locals, and good shopping. Too much to ask for in Thailand? A friend suggested that if I want a mix of everything to visit Bangkok as is my first visit while others suggested Pattaya or Phuket... Recommendations on where to visit and stay in Thailand.. and What do you think the better holiday spot is?
I like Bangkok. Pattaya doesn't hold a candle to other Thai beach resorts, unless you plan on spending your holiday in go-go bars.