FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cebu, Philippines or Bangkok/Pattaya, Thailand?.. And where to stay?
Old Feb 8, 2005, 8:08 am
around the world

Programs: American Express Centurion
Cool Cebu, Philippines or Bangkok/Pattaya, Thailand?.. And where to stay?

Hello everyone,

Thinking of where to take a 2 week holiday in the next few days as I need to get away from the cold English weather and am thinking of either visiting Cebu City, Philippines or Thailand. I have been to Cebu before and am familiar with the area. I also managed to get a discounted rate of 2400 PHP/night (USD ~ $45) inclusive of taxes and complimentary gourmet breakfast for a 2 week stay at the Waterfront Lahug, without a doubt the best place to stay in Cebu alongside the Shangri-La Mactan (which carries a higher price tag).

I noticed The Peninsula and The Mandarin Oriental in BKK are at least $200++/night. Is it possible to get any attractive (read: highly discounted) rates for these properties?

My main concern is my safety and well-being. Is it safe for a young guy like myself (over 21) to travel to Thailand alone? I feel the Philippines is very safe but not sure how things are like in Thailand.

My requirements are: nice accommodations that provide good value for money, excellent dining, good nightlife, friendly locals, and good shopping. Too much to ask for in Thailand? A friend suggested that if I want a mix of everything to visit Bangkok as is my first visit while others suggested Pattaya or Phuket... Recommendations on where to visit and stay in Thailand.. and What do you think the better holiday spot is?

Cheers,
around the world

Last edited by around the world; Feb 8, 2005 at 8:26 am