FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Recommendations for visit to Hearst Castle
Old Feb 2, 2005, 1:20 am
Frequentflyer99

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Recommendations for visit to Hearst Castle

I would like to spend 2 or 3 days driving down from SFO on the 101 to visit Hearst Castle and then driving up the coast on Highway 1 to Carmel.

As we will have lots of luggage I am trying to work out a plan which means that we dont have to leave our rental car unattended with luggage in it whilst we visit towns / Hearst Catle, but I am finding it hard to work out where to stay overnight in the area.

If we drive down to San Luis Obispo to overnight and then visit the Castle from there, it looks like a 45 mile each way trip if we go back to San Luis Obispo for our bags vor for a 2nd night, which we would then have to cover again on the way up to the coast.

I would rather not stay in 2 different hotels in the area on consecutive nights.

I would recevie gratefully, any suggestions generally as to places to stay in the area and to my conundrum mentioned above.

PS
As an afterthought I won der about Cambria. Does it have anywhere 5* to stay and would it work ?
Would San Luis Obispo be worth the drive from there just to see it ?

Last edited by Frequentflyer99; Feb 2, 2005 at 2:09 am