FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta Charges Cents. Delta Pays Cents. This Makes No Sense...
Old Jan 28, 2005, 10:25 pm
andyr

Programs: Free Agent! B6 Mosaic, AA 5MM LT Plat (EXP gone), SPG LT Plat, WN APlus, Hilton Diamond
Not the tax, but the charge

The focus on "having to collect the tax" or "waiving the tax" kind of misses the point, I think. It would seem logical that if you change a ticket resulting in a difference in the amount charged, whether tax, fare, or whatever, Delta could decide to not bother to charge amounts less than, say, $1, and also not to credit amounts less than $1.

This would have nothing to do with establishing different fare buckets than are 10 cents less than the old ones, or whatever, it would just be a process at the very end when you are going to charge someone a delta price (shh-boom).

Of course, everyone would b**ch about not getting their 32 cents back.

I'm not saying they have to do that, or even should, but if the cost of running the transaction were over $1, the policy would save them money. It is doubtful that even FT'ers would game the fare system enough to construct scenarios where the change was $0.99 on a consistent basis.

Just my 2 cents worth ...

--- Andy R.