FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Verizon is blocking all incoming e-mail from outside the USA!!!
Old Jan 25, 2005, 9:26 am
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stimpy
I was referring to your and others posts saying the spam did not originate in the UK.
For the purposes of this discussion it did not. You were trying to prove that you were able to receive mail from the UK at your Verizon address, yet none of your sample e-mails were sent using an SMTP sever in the UK.

To use an FT-related analogy, suppose the US gov't [Verizon] implements entry restrictions for UK citizens and people from the UK start complaining that they cannot get into the US. You would then argue that someone was able to get in without a problem after arriving on a BA flight from London. When you are asked how so and asked to send a copy of that person's passport [e-mail headers], it turns-out that the person in question actually has an Indian passport. You then continue to argue that "someone from Britain was able to enter the US without a problem".

I set out to prove that Verizon is not blocking all international email.
Then you shouldn't have argued that "some UK mail is making it through to Verizon".

I believe that VZ is blocking only from sites that have sent spam to them in the past.
What exactly do you mean by "sites"? If you are referring to SMTP relay servers, then that would be a rediculous criteria.

If you don't understand that DNS can be faked, then you don't really understand how DNS works. I gave an authoritative reference to the subject if you care to read it. If you don't understand DNS and you are running a mail server, then VZ is probably correct to block your server from accessing their customers.
There is really no need for a personal attack here. You might have given an authorative reference, but is it to a subject that is irrelevant to the issue at hand.