FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Double Tier Miles between DCA and select cities
Old Jan 22, 2005, 4:17 pm
DC Mike

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver. Back of the plane on everyone else.
Originally Posted by planeluvr
Service on these nonstop routes includes new Embraer 170 jet service with all leather seating with adjustable headrests, no middle seats, wider seat width and generous legroom, lots of headroom and ample overhead bin space.

Who says you need first class with the 170 around? DFW isn't that far from DCA. Who needs a mainline jet anyway? Not U.
If there's one problem with this new service in my mind, it's that these little jets don't offer first class, and just suffer from an image problem. I understand that U.S. is offering frequency over aircraft size, but on routes on which they compete for business travellers against CO, UA, NW, etc., I think it's a disadvantage. Of course, if these routes start to do really well, I could see them pulling in bigger planes in place of the 170s.

All that said, I think this is a major step in the effort to bring back US - these are markets that are a logical step out of DCA, and I am certainly hoping they do some real advertising in this market to push them.