FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA Middle East Options
View Single Post
Old May 6, 2024, 3:04 pm
TTmex

Programs: BAEC Gold / SQ *A Gold / Marriott Titanium
BA Middle East Options

Hi all - looking for the collective wisdom of our esteemed members.

Having recently got a GUF2 back (had to cancel South Africa trip) while acquiring another one tomorrow (hitting 2500 TPs for this year), I'm going to be sitting on two (one needing to be applied by July). I already have plans for one of them - to hit a SE Asia tour at some point in the next 12 months, but I am also really interested in the Middle East.

Does anyone have any good suggestions in terms of BA's operations to ME? For context, I am based in Mexico, so any use of GUF would be applied to a MEX-LHR-(destination) return trip, either cash or Avios. Would be travelling with my wife. We crave cultural experiences more than anything else - museums, historic sites, dining in markets.

I see a few options, but I also wanted recommendations on what people think is worth seeing.

In terms of underlying cash fares (i.e. paying WTP), it seems that anywhere is going to be 2.5k-3.5k USD per person for the underlying ticket in WTP, although Turkey could be a good gateway with a much more reasonable 1.4k USD before applying the GUF (and tax uplift). I'd think I could find Club fares at 3-4k, so not sure cash ticket a good use of the GUF2.

So, I'm guessing Avios plus GUF2 is the best strategy here as can be priced at RFS rates. We've got plenty in the bank there, so fairly flex.

Which routes does BA operate Club World on now? I understand that AMM (our number 1 choice) uses a narrow body, but I assume that BA operates to BAH, AUD, KWI, JED, RUH, DXB and DOH in CW? While F would be nice, don't feel the increased money and avios (at new rates) make it really worth the extra. Not big drinkers and happy with lie flat. I always sleep the whole way from MEX-LHR and sleep is what I value most on flights.

Jordan (to see Petra especially) is definitely our number 1 choice, but have heard great things about Oman and Jeddah, Saudi, (I've been to Riyadh before and that wasn't that thrilling). Would also be open to positioning to ME, e.g. UAE, and then moving around a bit. Apparently Uzbekistan (a bit further out) is well worth a visit now it's accepting tourists.

Any recommendations?

The knowledge on this board is always greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by TTmex; May 6, 2024 at 3:30 pm Reason: added DXB to list