FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Long haul in-flight catering 2024 | Club World
Old May 3, 2024, 8:23 am
BerksFlyer

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
After a number of really good long haul flights recently (and several online thank you’s filled out) it was a shame to have what felt like a poor experience to JFK yesterday.

The service was very sluggish. Timings wise it was:-
Wheels up 13:56
Starter 15:37
Main 16:08
Dessert 16:42

I was in row 7 of the mini cabin of a 777-300.
When my order was taken I was asked if I wanted still or sparkling water but not for my wine choice. I asked if they wanted my wine order (which is what usually happens in my experience) to which I was told “no, I’ll do wine with the meal”. When my starter appeared there was no wine and I wasn’t asked if I wanted any. When the mains came round I noticed that nobody was being being asked if they wanted wine. My main arrived and I wasn’t asked if I wanted wine so asked if I could have some and it certainly felt like I was being an inconvenience. Someone eventually turned up with it after I’d already made good inroads into my meal. Same with the cheese, I wasn’t offered more wine and had to stop the person serving from dashing straight off to ask if my empty glass could be topped up.

The service felt very slow compared to recent JFK trips and the crew were not proactive at all. Throughout the entire flight not a single person in the mini cabin was proactively offered wine at all and the only proactive offer of anything on the entire flight was the drink after take off.

Afternoon tea turned up at 19:11 which was not far off two hours after I’d finished my main meal.

The following was no fault of the crew, but there were only five fish dishes loaded for the 76 Club passengers and they’d all gone to the people in the ten seats that got their order taken before me! There were no biscuits loaded for the cheese. The WiFi only worked for about a hour of the flight. The seat specific reading lights malfunctioned.

On plus side, the soup was quite nice IMO, and when I asked for dessert and cheese they did arrive (although I was told that it wasn’t usual to do this and I shouldn’t go round telling people I got both!).

Let’s hope this is a one off amongst what have been, up to yesterday, some really lovely flights recently.