FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The NEXUS Information Thread
View Single Post
Old Apr 28, 2024, 11:25 pm
Chalkie

Programs: QF Plat / OWE (Lifetime Gold), Aeroplan SE, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Avis Pres't Circle
Originally Posted by Chalkie
I've searched this thread but cannot find clear information about the following situation:
  • I am a Canadian citizen and currently a Canadian resident, with a NEXUS membership.
  • Shortly I will cease to be a Canadian resident and will be moving abroad.
  • I know I must update my Canadian postal address (which I can do online), but my residential address (which will be abroad) update must be done at an enrollment centre.
  • I will be returning to Canada and the US for visit friends/family and tourism visits in August-September this year.
My question is this: should I try and prospectively update my residential address before I've moved? I am concerned that if I wait until when I return to Canada and the US in Agust-September, I may be flagged for delay in updating my new residential address. As I am a Canadian citizen, my residential address change will not affect my eligibility for NEXUS. But I've seen information around the web that delay in updating information can trigger some border officers.

Any information on this would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.
Here's the answer to my question: after reviewing the Canadian source law for Nexus, I took the view that the date on which my residential address changed was the correct date on which to inform Nexus of that change. So today, as I departed Canada, I went to the enrollment centre at YVR and asked if I could update my residential address. The clerk said no problem, took a copy of my Nexus card and asked me to write my new residential address address next to the card copy. I asked if I needed to separately inform the US side and he said no, they would ensure the change was made on both sides.

EDIT: So, about 4 days after departing Canada, I checked the Nexus system and saw that my residential address had not updated on the US side. I was a bit dubious about what the Canadian agent had told me when I updated the residential address on the Canadian side as it was inconsistent with the balance of the commentary about the Canadian and US systems not "talking" to each other. So I'm making a trip to US-based enrolment centre to ensure that the residential address is updated and I am not at risk of ineligibility because of a failure to update particulars.

Last edited by Chalkie; May 13, 2024 at 8:49 am Reason: New information