FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is AS a bad choice for paid first travelers?
Old Apr 28, 2024, 8:43 am
Eastbay1K
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by FL370
I’m not talking about million dollar glasses of lemonade. I’m talking about $400 o/w tickets on the west coast and $800 transcons. I get clearing out J in order to open up Y space, but I’m seeing J0, Y9 often 24 hours out. What harm is caused to upgrades doing it 4 hours before the flight to accommodate J sales or J customers that need to change flights due to irrops or their personal schedule changes? I’d argue this behavior is causing AS to lose significant money on the table.

As an example, I had a recent PHX AS flight that was delayed, booked in C class. No other AS flights with J for 12+ hours. I cancelled and booked on Delta. This can’t possibly be a savvy situation for any carrier to put a loyal paid J traveler in, LCC or otherwise.
I do also expect that AS sells out the F cabin more frequently than the others, especially with F cabins of 12 and 16. As a practical matter, from SFO/OAK, other than a very few markets, the frequency issue (i.e., trying to hop on an earlier flight or wanting a slightly later flight) is rarely (and unfortunately) an available option. And for those markets, sitting in the back for an hour or a bit more isn't that big of a deal. For anything longer, yup, AS isn't probably a good choice.