FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - first time experiencing AA flight cancellation
Old Apr 27, 2024, 9:01 am
Aliquot

Originally Posted by HaleiwaFlyer
When your flight is canceled, significantly delayed, or a delay could cause you to miss your connection, we’ll rebook you on our next flight with available seats at no additional cost. If no American Airlines flights are available until the next day, we’ll rebook you on one of our partner airlines at no additional cost.In cases where a delay or cancellation is caused by us, upon request we’ll give you:
  • A voucher for an approved hotel with available rooms if you are delayed overnight if you’re away from your city of residence.
  • Transportation to a hotel and back to the airport by hotel shuttle / third-party transportation service, or a transportation voucher.
  • Meal vouchers if your delay is 3 or more hours after your scheduled departure.
If we can’t provide you with a voucher for an approved hotel, we’ll reimburse you for reasonable hotel costs. If a hotel shuttle / third-party transportation service isn’t available, or we can’t provide you with a transportation voucher, we’ll reimburse you for reasonable transportation costs.

I don't think AA is going to rebook the OP on another airline since there is an AA flight available the next day. But, won't hurt to ask. If OP has some loyalty status with AA, that will be helpful. I believe Plat Pro/EXP/CK get to be rebooked on other airlines too. There is a chart out there that I've seen before, of who is allowed to be rebooked or not based on status.
According to what you posted AA should book on a "partner" airline BECAUSE there are no AA flights availble till the next day. I don't know how they define partner airline, but bit probably doesn't include airlines they only have an interline partnership with, like UA.

However, from experieexperience they usally are willing to book on interline partners when AA/partner flights aren't available untillnthe next day. This usually wont happen automaticaly or online. If you don't have status you may need to talk to someone at the aiport.