FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Problems on a diverted flight from Hong Kong
Old Apr 24, 2024, 12:19 am
Tobias-UK
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Jagboi
I suspect the OP probably had no idea it was going to cost that much at the time.

An example from my travels, I'm Canadian and when I travel to the UK I can buy a travel package from my mobile phone provider that extends my home plan to cover when I'm in the UK. All great. I parked on the street in Richmond where I had to phone in to register to pay for parking. It was an 020 number, so I thought no problem. Of course it's voice to text and it failed to understand me, and on the second and third times dropped the call, so I gave up. When I get home and get the phone bill I get charges for $60 for calls to Cairo - for the parking calls, as Egypt isn't on my phone plan. How would I have known I wasn't actually calling a local London number?
It appears you may have failed to add the UK international dialling code (+44) when dialling the 020 London number. When roaming it is vital you add the international dialling code to calls, the international dialling code for Egypt is +20 hence you being connected to the wrong organisation in the wrong country.