FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is this a data breach or a 'feature'?
View Single Post
Old Apr 23, 2024, 11:27 am
ratechaser

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
Whilst understanding the desire to provide a surprise, I am not clear why sending an email to your wife about a booking she is on with you could be considered as a breach of GDPR? Presumably she also received and email when it was originally booked prior to your recent upgrade?

One might even argue that BA has a duty to send an email to a passenger whose booking has been changed.
My OP may have had a poor choice of words, in that this was the initial booking - we would normally fly ET, but I decided to go CE instead (so an 'upgrade' to our norm...).

But that last part is the key one. It's my financial transaction, but one that does benefit someone else. Where does GDPR fall on this, in terms of 1) the need to notify that she is the beneficiary of a service, and if that is the case 2) the amount of money paid by someone else for that service.

My instinctive parallel here is that you order a present for someone and include their contact details for delivery. Should the company that is supplying the gift let that person know in advance what they were going to receive, and also how much it cost? I'm guessing not.

Of course there's also the small point that there is enough detail in the email (PNR/name) to be able to cancel the booking and incur cancellation costs, despite not having paid for anything in the first place. Clearly not a practical issue here, but one that could have actual consequences if someone on a group booking was feeling naughty...

Last edited by ratechaser; Apr 23, 2024 at 11:33 am