FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is this a data breach or a 'feature'?
View Single Post
Old Apr 23, 2024, 11:10 am
ratechaser

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
I think the general advice when booking a surprise for someone else is to not include their BAEC number when booking.

This is not an uncommon occurrence.

Did you UuA? Are you and the missus in a HHA?
Indeed, and many thanks to everyone for the 'hindsight' comments, I guess I need a trip to specsavers...

We are in a HHA but it was a pure cash booking - I see where you are going in terms of her needing to know if her Avios were being used. Not the case here though.

I'm sure she will be thrilled, although perhaps less at my profligacy. It's for the same reason I don't get email receipts from her hairdresser. All absolutely fine, I just don't want to know how much...

I guess the question remains though, would this legally be considered a breach of personal data? In my own industry, it would be treated seriously if I sent financial or other personal data to someone other than the account holder themselves.

And to forestall the boomerang question of 'what outcome would I want from any complaint' - not compo, god no, let's nip that one in the bud. I'd want them to say that they were wrong, and that it wouldn't happen again. Which of course is a pipe dream...